Google tag

Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 19 - Write an opinion post - I've tackled "Ageism."

Day 19 - Write an opinion post.  Well, Katy - bar the door!  I have always been opinionated.  I was insufferable as a child, add in ADD and impulsivity, gems of unwanted advice were a dime a dozen from me.

Now that I have your attention.  I can finally post on something near and dear to my heart - Ageism. Yessiree Bob, there is ageism in America.  Rather than value the older worker, it is the quite opposite.  The sad part is it all comes down to medical insurance.  The older worker costs more to an employer in terms of the cost of a medical insurance premium.

You don't see the effects of ageism when you are young - because it isn't happening to you!  Granted you don't have the energy when you are older but the years of life experience are invaluable.  Problem solving is easier because of the font of knowledge you can draw from.

Office politics is less troublesome to the older worker because you just don't care to participate in it.  Who cares if Suzy Q looks bleary-eyed and is chronically late?  Not my problem.  It could be she is trying to raise three kids on her own.  So what if I am not promoted, who needs the headache?  More job responsibility = more accountability which ultimately means you are the one that gets chewed out if something goes wrong.

There are so many technical trades that are going to be in a world of hurt because the institutional knowledge has not been passed down.  You know, everything can't be outsourced.  Time to hire that older worker!

No comments:

Post a Comment