Google tag

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Top Ten Must Reads

Day 25 of 31dbbb prompts to ask a question.  Sometimes it is nice to end up a post that way, but I have few readers that actually respond.  I am instructed to ask a question that is answerable.  Everyone can hop on board with this question - What are your Top Ten Must Reads?  Here are my Top Ten (in the order that occurs to me at this particular moment), some well known, others, not so much.

Book No. 1:  I began my horror genre reading list with a heavyweight The Exorcist.  Little did I know what I was in for, I was maybe 12 years old at the time I read it.  The book was absolutely horrifying.  When the movie came out, I wasn't nearly as terrified as others, *sheesh* I'd already had that dollop of crazy.


Book No. 2:  I am a HUGE John Irving fan and have read nearly all of his books.  A recent offering, Last Night in Twisted River, is a good one.



Book No. 3:  Yes, I did go through my horror genre phase.  Stephen King's The Stand (all versions) is one of my enduring favorites.

Book No. 4:  I would also recommend Taylor Caldwell's Captains and Kings.  While she does have an older writing style, she is an author that is rarely recognized in the "best-of's."



Book No. 5:  A fiction writer's debut Down to a Soundless Sea by Thomas Steinbeck, son of John Steinbeck.  This book is keeper for me, a collection of short stories all set in the Monterey Bay area of California.

Book No. 6:  In the Christian book genre, a standout is C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.



Book No. 7:  Not so much a must read but a must-see for Barbie and art lovers, The Art of Barbie, Artists Celebrate the World's Favorite Doll.  Artists such as Andy Warhol, Karl Lagerfeld and Anna Sui interpret Barbie and her unique style.


Book No. 8:  In the business realm, Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.



Book No. 9:  Another book, along those same line of business/making money, The Millionaire Next Door, by Thomas J. Stanley.  This book will blast your preconceived notions about millionaires right out of the water!

Book No. 10:  Kind of a "dark horse," Western Stories, A Chronological Anthology, Jon Tuska, Editor. While I have never been much for the western-themed storyline, the Mr. loves westerns and this anthology is a surprisingly delightful read of short stories.


Do share - what are your Top Ten?  

No comments:

Post a Comment