Google tag

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Bibliophile alert and the challenge's end

Challenge prompt: "Have you read Gone with the Wind? Do you want to read it? What books do you read? What books have you read that you recommend? What books do you not recommend or will you not read? Give us your list of thirty books." 

My quilt-related thrift shop acquired publications. My favorite is Successful Scrap Quilts with my least favorite being the Georgia Bonesteel series (sorry Georgia). One would think just a couple of these books would be good enough, but surprisingly, I have found some tip or trick or pattern that was different and unique in each of them.
 

I was going to try and attempt a 30-minute free write, one of the choices of these prompts. I began a rant on politics and then deleted it (as interesting as this election has become here in the U.S.). Religion and politics are two topics I try to avoid in conversation and in the blogosphere. I also know that I don't like reading long, drawn-out blog posts unless they are humorous. I don't think I can be that funny for 30 minutes. I also type incredibly fast so I would end up posting a novello ya'll would have to slog through.

So we will talk books. Yes, I have read Gone with the Wind - in my teen years. In fact, most of my heavy duty reading was done as a teenager. I devoured at least a book a week, no light reading either, the majority of them were the classics. Rather than list those recommended, here is a link 50-books-to-read-before-you-die.

My reading of late has been college textbooks and doesn't leave much time for recreational reading. Of the books I would recommend that aren't on the 50 books list are (with the proviso that I was VERY MUCH into the horror genre for a number of years):

The Stand by Stephen King (I have read both the abridged and unabridged versions)
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. This was the first horror book that I ever read (at a mere 12 years old), and what a doozy. The book is infinitely more frightening than the movie (I know that is saying a lot).

I also like to read alternative publications from the 1960s. These types of books are extremely difficult to find, at least in the second hand shops.

I was so glad I could participate in this challenge. Even with my online college class, I was looking for a way to stave off boredom and Kathleen came to the rescue. Thank you to those who have visited me. Stay tuned for more fun and games in the months to come.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting Buttercupland. I've read GWTW probably four or five times, but not once in the last fifty years. I loved it at the time and even visited Margaret Mitchell's house in Atlanta. Right now I'm reading Cara Black's Murder in the Sentier, part of a very good mystery series set in Paris. I also do a mytery novel blog, Coffee Light and Mysteries (Mostly) Noir. I need my mystery quotient to give me blog material. Of course, I would read mysteries anyway.

    ReplyDelete