Google tag

Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Furniture - A to Z Writing Challenge topic


There is so much furniture cycling through the thrift shops now.  I believe it is an indicator of families downsizing, moving to smaller dwellings or just de-cluttering in general.  It is the case here in California, the real estate meltdown was especially brutal to us.

Those 65 and older are the fastest growing demographic in the world.  I suppose many, fortunate enough to remain in good health, are looking to lifestyles free of "stuff."


Even though I am a day late and dollar short of "F" for Friday's Frock, here I am ... Miss Thrift Shop Commando.  See the light shining off of her glasses and her Mona Lisa smile ...

Bloomingdale jacket
Ranked silk blouse
Jones New York maxi skirt
(Entire outfit thrifted)
Donald Pliner ballet flats (retail)


A to Z Challenge [2013]

Please vote for me as Best Local Sacramento Blogger.  Vote button is at the top of this post.  Thanks!


19 comments:

  1. We have seen beautiful furniture sell for a song at auction. It's unbelievable the deals you can get lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is even prettier in person - very well constructed.

      Delete
  3. An astute observation about there being so much more furniture in thrift shops in the last few years. Also, I believe one of the reasons that Antique Shops are not selling as much 'Real Antique Furniture or Collectibles' as once was the trend. I for one fall into the Senior Downsizers and am waiting for the 'Antiques/Collectibles' to make a comeback!
    Lovely outfit!
    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Thrift Stores!! My sister and I use to go once a week treasure hunting. I need to find an new buddy, since she moved out of state.
    Connie
    A to Z buddy
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the furniture thing. While not in thifts as you Miss Von Zalez, I do see more furniture than ever! I had got a old ratty boudior chair...in avocoda green velvet. UGLY! But for 30 bucks bought it, redid the chair in a light tan "suede look" velvet and wow!!! Loving your outfit as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow one blog called "Better After" and it is amazing what can be done with those furniture makeovers!

      And thank you for the compliment on the outfit ~

      Delete
  6. I love that whole outfit, especially the jacket and skirt! Very cute. That dresser or whatever it is that the lamps are sitting on to the right in that other picture looks beautiful!

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to write about thrift shops. I just joined from A to Z. I'm glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome! Seems I'm the only thrifter that glommed onto AtoZ this year.

      Delete
  8. What fun! I love thrift store shopping; I find the best bargains! I had to come by and check out your blog when I saw your title. (And I was a day late with my 'f' posts too)
    Happy A to Zing
    Trisha Faye
    http://calicoconnections.wordpress.com
    http://binkeyandbubblegumbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've gotten some great smaller pieces of furniture from thrift stores. They are the best place to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got some tables from one of the thrift stores here. They are very nice.

    Cute outfit.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Mona Lisa smile and your sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very informative blog indeed. Recently i redecorated my living room 3pc sofa set which is very fabulous and magnificently suits in my living room .For fresh new designed sofa sets visit or site.

    ReplyDelete