Google tag

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 5 topic - Mushroom

30 Days of Photographs IV, Day 5 topic of "Mushroom."  Please visit Ziva's Inferno to see what the other shroomers have posted.

Rather than photograph a mushroom or something shaped like a mushroom, I have a back story for this prompt.  Behind the shed door is where I discovered the mushroom map.


The story begins with my brother who attended the U-Dub (the University of Washington) in 1972.  He bought into Timothy Leary's "turn on, tune in, drop out" philosophy, so my brother's college stint was short-lived.  My brother discovered that psilocybin mushrooms were there for the picking in certain areas of the Pacific Northwest.

Each year I visit my mother and during that time I organize one of her rooms.  Last year, I chose the shed to organize and clean out.  I shredded records that dated back to the 1960s and walked down nostalgia lane with papers, pictures and drawings from my childhood.  The most interesting discovery was my brother's map to the place where he harvested mushrooms those many years ago.  He had tucked it behind a picture in the lining of the back of the frame.  My mom and I were a little apprehensive about what his reaction would be when we had arranged to meet him for dinner.  Those mushrooms had caused havoc in the family, (a whole nuther story in itself).  So when I presented the map to him, he thought it was absolutely hilarious. We had a good laugh over something that had caused so much pain and suffering those many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment