Google tag

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The empty bottle and I swear it was the fruitcake

"The empty bottle," the Day 5 prompt from the 30 Minus 2 Days Writing Challenge with the drunken gang over at weworkforcheese.


Each year I prepare fruitcakes for the holiday season.  It was one of our family traditions.  Around October, my mom and dad would begin the process of making the loaves and then wrapping them in sherry-soaked cheesecloth for a few month's storage.  Most fruitcakes are wrapped in rum, so our family's use of sherry is unique.

A couple of times before the fruitcake is ready, the cheesecloth is soaked again and again with sherry.  Each time I finish the process, I stare at the empty bottle.  My amazing bottle of Amontillado sherry is now empty. I can just image the wonderful goodness that will result from the process.

These are the last remnants from the two loaves of fruitcake.


Stumble on over to visit those clinging to their empty bottles ...

No comments:

Post a Comment