Google tag

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Sing a Song of Singer

Putting together the pieces of a $1 bag of premade squares and two borders from mystery quilter produced this layout.

In my first layout, I put the four patch dark brown pieces together as the centers in the square but it didn't have the same playful feeling of this combination.
These two small chicken print remnants will become appliques or perhaps corner pieces. I did the fabric pulled fabric from my stash to add to the fabric that came with the pieces.

After skittering around with buying the wrong manual and parts for my vintage Singer, I discovered I have not joined the Featherweight club after all. The machine that I have is a 15-91, otherwise known as the Farmer's Wife machine.

My skooling on the care and feeding of the Singer continues. I am a big fan of YouTube and found a comprehensive cleaning tutorial here. In addition to the oil I had already purchased, I bought lubricant for the motor and grease for the gears. I had hoped to post a video showing the machine at work but the bobbin tension is giving me fits right now. I am going to take it and the American Home in cabinet one in for repair.

I always underestimate the time it takes to complete a quilt but in a good way. After my Brother sewing machine returned home and AFTER I read the manual, I was ready to complete the binding on my son's quilt. Not only did I do that, I completed quilting on my patriotic quilt. That one went quicker on completion because I decided to keep the quilting uncomplicated. I have found that more thread equals a stiffer quilt and that might be all fine and good for a wall hanging but not so much for a cozy lap quilt.

Finally got my EBay account up and running again, so I can list items I have been meaning to sell. I am going to group the collectibles together such as a MAD comic book along with a MAD card game - both unique items.

Do you like working with premade fabric pieces?
Linking up with Em at Em's Scrapbag for Moving it Forward Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment