Google tag

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Quilty Orphan Adoption and National Sewing Month

First up is my Vintage Fabric Quilt (nearly finished binding).  Shown as a finish - not up for adoption. This creation was prompted after months of working on dark, Christmas fabric and I needed a change, a drastic change and this was the result. First began here, where I questioned the use of pre-basting and am now a convert, esp. with bed quilts. No puckers, smuckers, wayward fabric lines.

The back of the quilt is the correct use of a large scale fabric. Later on this post you will see the incorrect use of a large scale fabric (and it isn't pretty ...)

Sometimes the binding is one of my favorites aspects of a quilt and this time highlights it exactly. When I found this thrifted yardage over the weekend, I just knew it would fit in with Vintage Fabric. My nod to mystery quilter aka multi-crafter for sending this into the Great Thrift Shop Beyond.

Celebrating National Sewing Month and linking up with Cynthia at quiltingismorefunthanhousework.
Quilting is more fun than Housework
Also linking up with Amanda Jean at crazymomquilts for Finish it up Friday. 

These thrifted orphans have come into my possession and have been thoroughly laundered and spruced up for adoption day.

Orphan blocks no. 1: Cluck Cluck Sew
(Update - adopted)
"I did what I could" grouping are from my most recent creation here.  These babies are just begging for a charity home. Look at them, in their beige and brown tones calling "Take Me Home."

Orphan blocks no. 2: So Many Sunflowers, Makes Me Want to...
(Update - Adopted)
Ding! Second round of posting these yellow and blue gems. Added in sunflower fabric as an additional lure. I am still stuck on how to incorporate them into something, anything, help me out here.
Orphan blocks no. 3: Bow tie blue, blue and more blue
(Pulled from adoption.)
These pieces are cut for bow tie blocks (instructions included). Eight small packs of blue, bluuuueeoooooooo.

Orphan quilt top #4:  Orphan Katz
(Update - adopted)
Finally, the piece de resistance *coughs* a quilt top. I am frankly embarrassed by this, I nearly put it in giveaway for the Great Thrift Shop Beyond. Instead, I will bare my soul and offer this to anyone motivated enough to quilt it. This is where I ruined a large scale fabric AND tried to incorporate another quilter's squares into my creation. You decide - Epic Fail? Give it a second chance?

The most exciting part of all, they are free, free as a bird, meaning I pay the postage to anywhere in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave (aka U.S.). Email me at tvonzalez@gmail.com. Did I mention these snippets of fabric fabulousness are free? It is first come, first served.

I am seeking gray prints patterns and solids, if anyone wants to part with any remnants to give or trade for orphans listed above. 

Sally Stand-in is now dressed for the fall weather with a nod to my recent focus on country-themes. She is also wearing her Barbie Badge - an ID holder with some Barbie graphics.
My dry cleaner Woodward Ficetti in downtown Sacramento has this permanent display in their lobby of retro sewing machines and items. Just had to share it~

I am so excited to be starting a new project that is right on target for me that includes my love of art and fabric artistry. Additional theme is "Mother Earth" so I've posted fabric pull on IG under the traditional textile post #septtextilelove as tamaschen.

If you want to join in, there still might be time to be added as a participant. 

Finally, the highest praise for any (fabric) artist is hearing your creation is being used and loved. The recipient of a baby blanket (shown baby-on-way-with-dollies-sure-to-follow) told me that their little girl liked my blanket the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment